GoFastZone

• July 24, 2014, 02:40:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to test a MSD retard box  (Read 1897 times)

352Ford

How to test a MSD retard box
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »

I when to start up my 1988 mustang the other day and she had no spark.  

Basic setup:

The factory EFI system tuned with a Tweecer
 MSD 6AL box
 MSD 2-step
 BMN window switch
 MSD digital Retard box (8975)

Car ran great before I parked it.

I use the MSD ford TFI harness (part number 8874) to hook up to the coil, so my added on electronics are easy to bypass.  So my first knee jerk reaction was to bypass everything and run it without the 6AL, window switch, and retard box.  As soon as I did that she roared to life.

Now to fix this thing:
I have checked that I power and continuity to everything, and I even swapped in a new 6AL box, still no spark.

I noticed that there is a little LED light on the timing retard box that isnít lit up.  I canít remember if it used to be lit up or not, but that does seem highly suspicious. I am starting to think my retard box just shit the bed, but before I start throwing expensive parts at this thing, is their any way you guys know how to test this thing(or if that light is supposed to be on when the ignition is on) ?  I couldnít find anything on the MSD website.

Any other ideas, suggestions, etc, I really hate to throw parts at cars, especially when they cost a decent amount of money.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:26:04 PM by 352Ford »

352Ford

Re: How to test a MSD retard box
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »

I just called MSD, they said there is no way to test it on my own, I have to send it back to MSD for inspection/repair.  He also said the fact that the red light is out usaly means bad things.